The short essays they are writings in which a concept, idea or issue is analyzed and commented on in a fairly brief manner. In them, the author makes explicit his vision and personal opinion on the matter. Before writing an essay, its author carries out an investigation to have the necessary material when it comes to arguing their positions. For example: a thesis, a monograph or a report.
The essays can deal with the most varied topics, belonging to any discipline. Its author must always have some knowledge of the subject to be able to analyze and make judgments about it. In addition, with the elaboration of an essay, its author enriches the existing information on the topic addressed.
The essays are reflective texts because they do not provide conclusive results on the subject addressed but rather provide elements for reflection. At the same time, they are argumentative texts, since they develop reasons that reinforce the author’s hypothesis. In addition, the essays are expository because before arguing they must include an explanation of the ideas that motivate the elaboration of the essay.
Parts of a short essay
- Introduction. In the first part of the essay, the author presents the topic to be discussed and the angle from which he will approach it. The content must be presented in the most attractive way possible, to capture the reader’s attention.
- Developing. In the body of the essay, the author breaks down the arguments of the idea that he presented in the introduction, in addition to his personal opinions and assessments. In addition, references and citations to other sources that addressed the issue are included, whether they are documentaries, other essays, manuals, newspaper articles, reports, among others.
- conclusion. At the end of the text, the idea that the author exposed throughout the text is reinforced. To do this, the most important arguments are mentioned and the final position on the matter is made evident.
- Annexes. In general, a list with the bibliography cited by the author is included at the end of the text, so that the reader can verify it.
Types of essays
According to the discipline within which these texts are framed, as well as according to the methodology used, the following types of essays can be identified:
- academics. They are prepared by the educational community, whether university, intellectual or school. For example: a thesis or a monograph.
- literary. They are characterized by the freedom with which the author can delve into a topic. Its tone is subjective and the topic must be treated with originality to capture the reader’s attention and summon him to reflect on the matter raised.
- scientists. They have as objective the presentation of the result of a scientific experiment, together with the interpretations and readings that awaken in the author. These essays include, in addition to the results, reports and any other type of objective material that helps explain what happened. This type of text is aimed at a community specialized in the subject and is usually written in technical language.
short essay examples
- Meditations on Don Quixote, by José Ortega y Gasset.
- Essay on friendship, by Alberto Nin Frías.
- Social networks and public-private problems, by Florencia Pellandini.
- Poverty is multidimensional: A classification essay, by Javier Iguiñiz Echeverría.
- On Disobedience, by Erich Fromm
- Essay on climate change and corporate social responsibility, by Cristhian Iván Tejada Mancia.
- The Russian Revolution of 1917: A constructivist analysis of the October Revolution, by Ximena Mía Gómez Cosío Vidaurri.
- Jean Paul Sartre: brief reflections on his anti-colonial thought, by Marcos Govea and Marielvis Silva.
- Contributions on the origin of the armed conflict in Colombia, its persistence and its impacts, by Javier Giraldo Moreno.
- If Borges had not existed, by Beatriz Sarlo.