In computing, output devices They are those devices that are part of the hardware and that transmit the information from a computer to the user or another computer or network. For instance: monitor, speakers, printer.
Also called “output peripherals”, these devices are connected to the processing unit and are responsible for presenting the processed data in a way that is understandable to the user. This information reaches the user in the form of audio, image, video, text, graphic, among others.
Output devices connect to a computer via cable or wirelessly (some output peripherals are already built-in in notebook computers) and allow information from a computer to be viewed, heard, or played back.
These peripherals differ from input peripherals, which are those that allow information from the external environment to be entered into a device. For example: keyboard, mouse, or microphone. These two types of devices are fundamental in computing because they allow the user to relate to the information processed by a device. There are also peripherals that are, at the same time, input and output, because they send and receive information.
Output device characteristics
The main characteristics of the output devices are:
- They are part of the computer hardware and are what allow the connection between the computer and the user.
- They translate the information that comes from the computer into a language that is intelligible for the user.
- They present information in image, audio or video format.
- They are user friendly and can be connected to the computer wirelessly or via cable.
- They are modernized and updated according to technological development.
- They are usually classified into audio output devices and image output devices.
Examples of output devices
- Monitor. Also known as a screen, it is a device that sends video signals and allows the user to observe through images part of the processing that takes place inside the computer. It is one of the most important output peripherals and there are different types that vary from one another according to weight, size and functionality. Some monitors can function as input / output devices when they have the touch screen, allowing the user to input information to the computer through the monitor.
- Talking. It is a device that allows you to play sound, which can be music or any other sound that is emitted from the computer. They are also called “speakers” and vary from one another according to their size and power.
- Headphones. They are devices that reproduce the sound that is emitted from the computer. They can be connected to the computer through a cable or through a signal, such as Bluetooth. They differ from speakers because they are only used by one person.
- Printing machine. It is a peripheral that reproduces information (text or graphics) from a computer on paper or other support. It connects to one or more computers via cable or wirelessly. There are different types of printers according to their functionalities and the technology they use, such as laser printers, thermal printers and plotters. There are also multifunction printers, which are input / output devices because, in addition to printing, they can photocopy and scan documents.
- Projector. It is a device that allows you to enlarge the image on the monitor and make it visible on a larger surface.