The instructive texts or normative They are those that give the reader the instructions to carry out a certain action.
Since they will be read and taken at face value, the instructional texts must be written as clearly and objectively as possible, minimizing the margin of interpretation error and allowing the reader to trust the instructions received.
Some instructional texts are used to give directions on how to operate an appliance, how to handle a substance, how to implement a code of standards, or how to prepare a certain recipe.
These texts are often accompanied by drawings, graphics and certain iconic language to ensure understanding of the message.
Examples of instructional texts
- A cooking recipe
The ingredients, kitchen tools and the specific way to use them are indicated to obtain a punctual gastronomic result.
Recipe for tabbouleh salad
Ingredients: (for 4 people)
– 3 tablespoons of precooked couscous
– 1 spring onion
– 3 tomatoes
– 1 cucumber
– 1 bundle of parsley
– 1 bunch of mint
– 6 tablespoons of virgin olive oil
– 1 lemon
– Salt to taste
– Peel and chop the tomatoes, chives and cucumber into very small squares and place in a salad bowl.
– Wash, dry and chop the herbs equally and add to the salad bowl.
– Let the couscous soak for a few minutes until it becomes fluffy. Then add to the mix.
– Pour the oil, add the salt and sprinkle with lemon, then stir everything.
– Cover the salad bowl and refrigerate two hours before serving.
- Instructions for using an appliance
Most home appliances come with an illustrated and multilingual instruction booklet, which is used to explain to the user how to use the appliance and what to do in certain situations.
Instructions for use in a washing machine
Washing instructions / Washing instructions.
- Put the clothes in the washing machine / Load clothes into washing machine.
- Close the washer door / Close the washing machine door.
- Add the detergent in the first compartment, and / or the bleach in the second, and / or the fabric softener in the third / Put detergent in the first compartment, & / or bleach in the second, & / or softener in the third.
- Select the washing program according to the content: fast, intense, delicate / Choose the appropiate washing program according to clothes: quick, intense, delicate.
- Instructions for use of a drug
Medicines and remedies are accompanied by a leaflet explaining their composition, how to use it and the warnings and contraindications of the substance.
Ibuprofen cinfa 600mg film-coated tablets
Ibuprofen belongs to a group of medicines called non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), indicated for:
– Treatment of fever.
– The treatment of pain of mild or moderate intensity in processes such as pain of dental origin, post-surgical pain or headache, including migraine.
– The symptomatic relief of pain, fever and inflammation that accompanies processes such as pharyngitis, tonsillitis and otitis.
– Treatment of rheumatoid arthritis (inflammation of the joints, usually including those of the hands and feet, leading to swelling and pain), psoriatic (skin disease), gouty (uric acid deposits in the joints that cause pain) , osteoarthritis (a chronic disorder that causes cartilage damage), ankylopoietic spondylitis (inflammation affecting the joints of the spine), non-rheumatic inflammation.
– Inflammatory injuries of traumatic or sports origin.
– Primary dysmenorrhea (painful menstruation).
- Instructions at a bank ATM
ATMs should contain detailed instructions for their use, so that anyone can understand the logic of the system. This is particularly delicate since it deals with the handling of cash, so the instructions will appear as the user progresses through the system, accompanying him in his transaction.
A. Welcome to the Banco Mercantil ATM network
Insert your card
B. Dial your 4-digit secret code
Remember not to give your personal information to anyone or accept help from strangers
C. Select the type of operation you want to perform:
– Deposit – Withdrawal / advance – Transfer
– Queries – Key management – Purchases / recharges
- The rules of behavior in a swimming pool
They are usually texts (posters) located in visible areas at the entrance to the pool area, which warn the visitor of the steps to follow and the precautions to be taken into account in order to use the common area of the pool.
RULES FOR THE USE OF THE POOL ENCLOSURE
– Games with balls of any nature
– Entering the venue with inappropriate footwear
– Enter with glass bottles or glasses
– Enter with animals
– Consumption of alcohol and narcotics
– Perform your needs in the water
– Shower before entering the water
– For the exclusive use of residents
– Children under 10 years old must be accompanied by their representative
– Notify the concierge of any accident
- A user manual for an electronic system
Given that each computer system has its own operating rules and mechanisms, it is often necessary to draw up a user manual, which provides those who use it with all the relevant information to learn how to use a particularly complex system.
User Manual of the Social Comptroller’s Computer System
The purpose of this manual is to facilitate the operation of the different screens for capturing and consulting the information that is administered in the Social Comptroller’s Computer System.
1.- IMPLEMENTATION OF THE SYSTEM
to) Hardware requirements
– Personal computer
– Internet connection
b) Software requirements
– Windows Operating System
– Internet browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Netscape or other)
– Access permit from the General Directorate of Regional Operation and Social Comptroller’s Office (DGORCS) of the Ministry of Public Function.
2.- ENTERING THE SYSTEM
Within your browser, type the following email address:
Immediately afterwards, the system will request Username and Password, data that will be provided by the DGORCS to the Social Comptroller’s Links.
- A traffic sign
Either through conventional sign language (arrows, icons, etc.) or written verbal text, or both, traffic signs tell drivers what actions they can, should or cannot take in a road situation determined.
(In an orange square with black letters)
LEFT LANE CLOSED
- A warning in a laboratory
These texts are intended to alert visitors or the laboratory staff themselves of the health risks posed by various substances present. They are usually brightly colored and accompanied by international icons.
(Below the international biohazard logo)
DO NOT PASS
AUTHORIZED PERSONAL ONLY
- Warnings on liquor bottles
Of mandatory inclusion in certain countries, they prevent potential consumer of the product from the risks to their health and that of others that excessive alcohol consumption entails.
DRINKING TOO MUCH HARMS YOUR HEALTH AND MAY HARM THIRD PARTIES. THE PREGNANT WOMAN SHOULD NOT DRINK ALCOHOL. IF YOU HAVE DRINKED, DO NOT DRIVE.
- Disaster prevention instructions
These are texts that instruct the reader in the appropriate actions to take (and those not to take) during and after a disaster of some nature.
What to do in case of earthquake?
- Always keep a first aid kit, flashlights, radios, batteries, and supplies of water and non-perishable food on hand.
- Make a plan with your family and / or neighbors for what to do and where to meet when the shaking has stopped. Locate the strongest places in the home: under thick tables or under door frames.
- Stay calm and don’t run. Stay away from vents and other sources of glass or sharp or blunt objects. Protect your head. Stand near the columns or corners of your home.
- Go to the points indicated as safe in your previous plan: under sturdy tables, on door lintels, etc.
- If there are wounded, ask the relief forces for help.
- Turn on the radio to stay informed of recommendations and forecasts.
- Stay away from trees, power poles, or other objects that could come off.