The Liberty It is the faculty that a person or group of people possesses to act in the different situations of life according to their rights and their own will. Personal freedom implies prior knowledge of the consequences of acts and is limited when it affects the freedom of others. There is both physical (actions) and ideological (thought, opinion, belief) freedom.
Freedom is a fundamental value that is conferred on the human being for the sole fact of having life. It is part of the fundamental human rights and is of vital importance for religion, philosophy, ethics, law.
There are different types of freedom that take into account the most important aspects of the human being. For example: freedom of choice, freedom of religion, freedom of expression. These types of personal freedom should not go against social norms of coexistence.
Freedom has a series of characteristics: self-determination, the capacity to choose, the will and the absence of slavery. The latter alludes to another of the definitions of freedom (since the term freedom is a broad concept that includes several dimensions). One of these dimensions defines freedom as the characteristic of that person who is not in prison or captivity.
types of freedom
- Freedom of expression. Right that all men have to express their ideologies and opinions in any of their forms. Through acts or words, the human being can express his thoughts.
- Freedom of opinion. Right that the human being possesses to disagree or discuss the points of view that he professes, with those who have a different position. It implies that each individual be prudent in the way they present their opinions, bearing in mind that where their freedom ends, that of the other begins.
- Freedom of association. Right that each individual has to group. This task is carried out in institutions, organizations, political parties or any other group that has legal objectives. Through this right to freedom of association, no individual may be forced to remain in an organization or institution to which they no longer wish to belong.
- Freedom of worship. Right that gives each human being the possibility of choosing a religion or none, without this meaning pressure or ties of any kind.
- Freedom of choice. Capacity that each human being possesses to make their own decisions and to decide on what is part of their private and public life. This right has to be valued without being punished.
- Freedom of movement. Right that grants each human being the possibility of moving within the territory. Every human being can circulate as long as they abide by certain current regulations issued by the authorities of some territories, which require documents and visas to enter or leave their territories.
- academic freedom. The right of every person to teach or proceed to debates on different topics. This also refers to the right to be able to carry out research, and then openly show the results of these without being subjected to any type of limitation or censorship.
Examples of types of freedom
- Write a reader letter to the zonal newspaper. (Freedom of expression)
- Defend a position in a political debate. (Freedom of opinion).
- Founding a community care center. (Freedom of association).
- Attend the temple on Saturdays. (Freedom of worship).
- Quit your job to start your own business. (Freedom of choice).
- Tour the country on a motorcycle. (Freedom of movement).
- Study Fine Arts at the Universidad Iberoamericana. (Academic freedom).