Is named technique to the set of procedures or resources that are put into action when carrying out a specific activity, generally in the professional, artistic, scientific, sports or other fields. For instance: vocal technique, surgical technique, study technique.
The technique is linked to ability or dexterity, but fundamentally with methodical learning and accumulated experience to successfully overcome a given objective. The term “technique” comes from the Greek τεχνη (technē), which refers to the idea of knowledge.
There are many techniques, some are reflected and systematized in books, treatises or manuals and others are transmitted orally from teachers to students, from parents to children, between friends or even between casual peers. For example: When a person passes a cooking recipe orally to a neighbor and gives details or advice, they are passing on a learned technique based on trial and error.
Technique and technology
In many cases, the terms “technique” and “technology” are often used, erroneously, as synonyms, but they have different meanings:
- Technique. They are practical procedures in which the weight of empirical knowledge prevails over scientific knowledge and in general they respond to individual interests, with a rather limited objective.
- Technology. They are technical knowledge but they are ordered on a scientific basis, with rigor and systematization. In this way, technology contributes to solving specific problems, and facilitates and stimulates the generation of new knowledge in all areas.
In many countries there is a tradition in the ‘technical education‘. Those institutions of secondary education dedicated to the training of technicians in different areas (mechanics, electricity, computing, among others) receive the name of Technical Education Schools that give many young people, after their training, a rapid insertion into the world of work .
Techniques in everyday life
Techniques are part of most of the processes that the human being performs. Many of the knowledge that these practices imply are transmitted from generation to generation by parents, teachers, relatives or peers.
Through perseverance and practice, the individual can carry out many activities and skills that can later be converted into habits and that allow the person to relate to the world around him, with others and to be able to self-manage. Some techniques that humans apply throughout their lives are:
- Techniques for learning to write. During the teaching and learning process of writing, different techniques can be used according to the age and characteristics of the student. These may include: the development of psychomotor skills, the association of words with images, the learning of each letter, among others.
- Public speaking techniques. Presenting ideas in front of an audience is usually a stressful and challenging situation for many people, so there are a large number of techniques that allow improving orality and managing the anxiety that this situation can cause. Some are: knowing the audience in front of which you are going to speak, preparing the speech in advance, using audiovisual aids or incorporating relaxation and breathing techniques.
- Techniques for studying. There are different techniques that students use when incorporating knowledge. In many cases popular techniques are used and in others the techniques are created by the student himself according to his needs. Some of the most recognized are: summaries, concept maps, comparative tables and mnemonic rules.
- Techniques for painting with watercolor. Watercolor painting is based on the use of colored pigments that dissolve in water. This type of art is done on paper and has a set of techniques that allow the individual to develop this pictorial technique.
- Techniques to combat insomnia. Insomnia can be due to different causes and usually affects a large portion of the population at some point in life. There are multiple techniques that are recommended to be able to face it, among which are: frequent physical activity, having a balanced diet, respecting leisure and rest times, consuming certain types of infusions, among others.
- Techniques for taking photographs. Photography is one of the most widespread types of art and is based on multiple techniques that allow the desired images to be obtained. There are techniques within analog photography and digital photography, there are also techniques to carry out photographs according to the type of light, according to the characteristics of the captured element and many others.
- Techniques to improve communication. Communication is the ability of human beings to relate and understand each other, good communication allows harmonious and respectful relationships. In order to have effective communication, techniques such as: communicating a clear message, using a cordial tone of voice, listening to the interlocutor, not imposing oneself, among others, can be used.
- Techniques for creating a vegetable garden. The assembly of a vegetable garden allows having vegetables produced at home available. The development of a garden involves a process that involves respecting the natural times of each plant, for that it is important to know the different cultivation techniques that allow obtaining good results.
- Techniques to increase productivity. Within the workplace, productivity is often sought so that work time yields. For this, it is important to develop concentration techniques, teamwork, encourage breaks and avoid procrastination.
- Techniques for learning to ride a bicycle. Riding a bicycle is one of the activities that a person usually develops and, for this, he must know the main technique that includes a set of steps such as: learning to brake, learning to pedal and achieving control of the bicycle.
- Origami techniques. Origami is an art that consists of assembling figures by folding the paper and is known to be a technique that can be taught and learned. The origami technique involves knowing the folds that must be made in the sheet to achieve a certain figure.
- Techniques to stimulate creativity. Creativity is a characteristic of human beings and there are many ways to stimulate it to be able to apply it in different areas of development. Some of these techniques are: brainstorming, the six hats technique, mind maps, among others.
- Techniques for brushing your teeth. The tooth brushing technique is one of the best known and most popular, since it is an essential part of the hygiene of individuals. Knowing how to brush your teeth correctly allows you to take care of oral hygiene.
- Techniques for washing glasses. The glass is a tableware that is used frequently and, due to the fragility of the material from which it is made (which is usually crystal or glass), there are different techniques for washing it. The washing techniques take into account factors such as the water temperature, the utensils to be used, the type of cleaner, the drying techniques, among others.
- Techniques to prepare a tea. Tea is one of the most consumed infusions in the world and, due to its ancient tradition, there are different ways to prepare it. Within this technique, factors such as: the temperature of the water, the immersion time of the tea strands, the variety of tea, among many others, must be taken into account.
Examples of techniques
- Learning techniques
- Vocal technique
- Surgical technique
- Artistic drawing technique
- Lighting technique
- Reading technique
- Techniques to quit smoking
- Relaxation technique
- Concentration techniques
- Creative writing techniques
- Programming techniques
- Sales techniques
- Marketing techniques
- Narrative techniques
- Research techniques
- Teaching techniques
- Illustration techniques
- Brand loyalty techniques
- Mind control techniques
- Group management techniques