The school dropout defines a situation during which a young person of school age drops out for some reason.
In these cases, the student does not obtain the certificate or title that proves completion and opens the most important doors of university study or the workplace, but fundamentally interrupts one of the most important knowledge acquisition and socialization processes.
School dropout, then, is seen as a big problem of public interest.
Consequences of school dropout
From practically all the edges that make up the formation of a child, the school dropoutIn addition to losing all the possibilities that the school grants, it is common that the reason for dropping out is not something that represents an advantage, and that the decision to leave education aside is made involuntarily or forced.
The usual path away from school is toward the child labor from a very early age, or towards sedentary lifestyle or harmful habits for young people on the street, in the most complex cases. The younger the dropout age, the greater the magnitude of these implications for the child.
From the school side, school dropout implies a breach of one of the fundamental duties assigned to it, as it is expected to provide the mechanisms so that those who enter can finish their primary and secondary studies. In countries that have public education, there is no economic limitation for access to education, but dropout continues to be a problem: the school should provide containment mechanisms so that young people do not abandon it.
It is common for teachers to find children with very low school performance, but avoid in any way making them repeat the year due to the consequences of discouragement and possible dropout that this generates: among teachers, there are often voices for and against it. decision to make in the face of this dilemma.
Dropout is dropping out of school for any reason. To illustrate the different issues that can motivate you, different causes of school dropout, of greater or lesser frequency.
Examples of school dropouts
- Nicholas, 11 years old, stops going to school tired of traveling the six kilometers one way and six kilometers back that he must do each day to get to his school, on the outskirts of a rural town.
- 7-year-old Thomas is bullied. Tired of trying to change the behavior of his classmates for different reasons, he simply decides to leave his school and does not try his luck in others.
- Matthew’ 14-year-old father leaves the family. In the midst of such a commotion, Matthew stops going to school in such a way as to remain at home with his mother.
- Felix, 14, lives in a country where there is no public education. His family does not have much money, and the scholarships demand a performance that Felix does not reach. You must drop out of school.
- 9-year-old Diana’s father and mother divorce. One lives in one area of the city and the other in another very far away, and conflicts between them make Diana have to travel permanently. With that pace of travel, it seems impossible for me to keep going to school.
- Damien’s family (15 years old) is very absent, and he has very little contact with his peers. For a time they think he goes to school but goes intermittently, and starts using drugs. It finally stops going completely.
- Nathaly (17 years old) is offered a job as a model, with a pay that is very attractive. He has no doubts and decides to drop out of college to begin his career in the media.
- Tim, 8, has learning disabilities. The school does not pay much attention, and Tim unmotivated believes that the problem is his and he will never be able to learn. With no other restraint than the failure of the school, it does not go any further.
- The economic situation in a country is difficult, and unemployment is on the rise. In this context, Sophie’s father (15 years old) is fired from his job, and decides to do a family job in which his daughter is essential, so he stops studying.
- John’s grades (17 years old) were not good this year, and although he has very little left to finish school, he abandons it, believing that he will not need a degree to get a job.