The prudence It is the ability of the human being to measure the possible consequences of actions and act responsibly. Prudence implies acting in a fair and cautious manner, respecting the life and freedom of others. For instance: look both ways when crossing the street.
Prudence is always action-oriented. A person who acts recklessly may put his life and the lives of others at risk.
The term prudentia comes from Latin and means: “who acts with awareness of what he does or the consequences of his actions.”
Prudence as a virtue
Prudence is considered by Catholicism as one of the four cardinal virtues and is known as “the mother of all virtues.” Catholicism defines it as the ability to reason with good judgment to judge actions as good or bad, and to be able to discern which way to go in each specific circumstance.
Prudence supposes: having memory, to use the experiences of the past; docility, to accept advice from others; foresight and intuition.
Examples of prudence
- Brush your teeth after every meal to avoid tooth decay.
- As a pedestrian, do not cross when the traffic light has a green light for vehicles.
- Expressing yourself in clear language is an act of prudence, especially when communicating sensitive topics or unpleasant news.
- Do not drive if you have drunk alcohol before.
- Look both ways when crossing a street.
- Observe the expiration date of the products that are purchased.
- Study for a lesson.
- Do not drive without lights on the vehicle.
- Wear a helmet when riding a bicycle or motorcycle.
- Do not exceed the speed limit on highways and routes.
- Add little salt when seasoning foods.
- Wear a seat belt when getting into a car.
- Use the proper paths when cycling.
- Respect the braking distance.
- Use your turn signals when driving a car.
- Use a condom in an occasional sexual relationship.
- Wear gloves when in contact with a toxic element.
- Take control of our finances.
- Do not walk near a ravine.
- Not eating too many high-fat foods
- Carry a coat in case the temperature drops and it is cold.
- Do not wander the streets at night and without company to avoid theft.
- Taste a hot drink carefully.
- Take days off when we have a fever.
- Do not circulate against the hand.
- Wear sunscreen when in contact with the sun.
- Have breakfast
- Go to an annual check-up at the doctor.
- Hydrate yourself
- Consult with a doctor before an ailment.
- Do not cross the street looking at the cell phone.
- Have a battery-powered cell phone in case you need to make an emergency call.
- If you cannot swim, it is wise not to go to pools whose depth is greater than our height.
- Follow the government’s recommendations when faced with a natural disaster.
- Check that we carry everything you need when leaving for a trip.
- Check the expiration of services and credit cards.
- Do not consume food from open containers.
- An architect building a house is prudent when considering the terrain and the type of materials he will use for construction.
- An athlete who trains daily to reach his goal is an example of prudence.
- A student who attends a class and leaves home early enough to be on time is a prudent student.
- A worker is prudent when wearing a helmet at work.
- A professional is prudent when choosing to prioritize the quality of their work over fees.
- A child is prudent when thinking before reacting to a challenge from his parents.
- When a person is going to invest a large sum of money in a business, it is wise to evaluate all the variables that may occur.
- A worker who, when collecting his salary, pays all of his debts and taxes before spending them on luxuries and comforts, is prudent.
- A traveler who must take a plane and arrives in good time before boarding is a prudent person.
- A person is prudent when speaking using the right words rather than shutting up or yelling.
- A person is prudent when planning a future job and, based on that, he / she trains professionally and academically.
- A person who evaluates the job prospect of what he wants to study, acts prudently.
- A person who does not have a job and who controls expenses acts prudently.