The saws They are a group of mountains that is usually within another mountain system. For example: the Serranía de Cuenca in Spain, the Sierra Madre Occidental in Mexico and the United States or the Pampas mountains in Argentina.
This type of elevation of the terrain it is characterized by its serrated or broken shape, as it is longer than it is wide (many mountain ranges extend for kilometers) and is made up of massifs: mountains that rise in a singular way and stand out from the rest of the mountain ranges. The mountains are also called serranía, serrasuelo, sierra grande, sawmill or serrano.
The climate, flora and fauna of the mountains depend on the type of location in relation to the tropics. They are places generally inhabited by humans, since they present a certain plant and animal wealth that allows, together with the favorable climate, the settlement of communities.
Difference between sierra and cordillera
The definition of saw is often confused with that of Mountain range, but the main difference is that the mountain range is a mountain range that is higher than the mountain ranges and, generally, has folds that twist and give it shape. Within a mountain range there may be mountain ranges.
Examples of saws
- Sierra Madre Occidental. It is located in western Mexico, in the states of Sonora, Chihuahua, Sinaloa, Durango, Nayarit, Zacatecas, Aguas Calientes and Jalisco and in the south of the state of Arizona, in the United States. It is the longest mountain system in Mexico.
- Sierra Madre Oriental. It is located in eastern Mexico, in the states of Coahuila, Nuevo León, Tamaulipas, San Luis Potosí, Querétaro, Hidalgo, Puebla, Oaxaca and Veracruz.
- Sierra Madre del Sur. It is located in southern Mexico, in the states of Jalisco, Colima, Michoacán, Guerrero and Oaxaca.
- Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta. It is located on the Caribbean coast in the northeast of Colombia, in the departments of Guajira, Magdalena and Cesar. It is the highest coastal mountain system in the world and contains the Pico Cristóbal Colón, the highest mountain in Colombia.
- Sierra del Mar. It is located on the Brazilian coastline and extends from the state of Rio de Janeiro to the state of Santa Catarina in the south of the country. In addition, it runs through the states of Espírito Santo, Paraná and San Pablo.
- Sierra de Gredos. It is located within the Central system (mountain range) in the west and center of Spain and includes part of the autonomous communities of Castilla y León, Castilla-La Mancha, Extremadura and the Community of Madrid.
- Calabrian mountains. They are located in southern Italy in the Calabria region and are part of the Calabrian Apennines, the area of the Apennines (mountain system) that is in Calabria.
- Pampas mountains. They are located in western and central Argentina in the provinces of Córdoba, San Luis, San Juan, Catamarca, La Rioja, Tucumán and Santiago del Estero. Some mountains of this group are: the Cordoba mountains, the Famatina mountain range, the Belén mountain range and the Aconquija mountain range.
- Sierra de Guadarrama. It is located in Spain, in the Community of Madrid and Castilla y León in the provinces of Ávila, Madrid and Segovia. This saw is part of the Central system.
- Sierra de Tramontana. It is located in Spain, northwest of the island of Mallorca, in the Balearic Islands located in the Mediterranean Sea. It is made up of the Puig Major, which is the highest mountain in the Balearic Islands.
- Sierra de Ramón. It is located in Chile, east of the city and capital Santiago de Chile.
- Serranía de Perijá. It is located on the border between Colombia and Venezuela and is the northernmost point of the Andes mountain range. It covers part of the state of Zulia in Venezuela and the departments of César, Norte de Santander and La Guajira in Colombia.
- Sierra de San Gabriel. It is located in the United States, north of Los Angeles in the state of California.
- Serranía de Cuenca. It is located in eastern Spain within the community of Aragon and Castilla-La Mancha. It is part of the Iberian system, which stretches 500 kilometers across the peninsula.
- Sierra de Albarracín. It is located in eastern Spain within the communities of Valencia, Aragón and Castilla-La Mancha. It is part of the Iberian system.
- Sierra Mixteca. It is located in the southeast of Mexico in the states of Puebla and Oaxaca.
- Sierra de Maracayú. It is located on the border between Brazil and Paraguay, within the state of Mato Grosso (Brazil) and the Department of Canindeyú (Paraguay).
- Sierra de la Mantiqueira. It is located in Brazil and extends for 500 kilometers in the states of São Paulo, Minas Gerais and Rio de Janeiro.
- Tandilia system. It is located in Argentina in the province of Buenos Aires and includes a set of mountain ranges that extend in the center and south of the province, in the towns of Olavarría, Tandil, Balcarce and Mar del Plata.
- Sierra de Atapuerca. It is located in Spain within the community of Castilla y León, in the province of Burgos, between the Iberian system and the Cantabrian mountain range.
- Sierra de Ayllón. It is located in south-central Spain within the provinces of Madrid, Guadalajara and Segovia and is part of the Central system.
- Sierra del Açor. It is located in central Portugal within the Coimbra and Leiria regions and is part of the Central mountain range.
- Sierra de la Cantarera. It is located in the southeast of Brazil north of the city of São Paulo.
- Sierra de Santa Monica. It is located in the United States along 64 kilometers in the southern state of California.
- Sierra de la Demanda. It is located in Spain in the communities of Castilla-León and La Rioja. This mountain range is part of the Iberian system.
- Sierra de Santa Bárbara. It is located in Argentina within the territory of the province of Jujuy and is part of the sub-Andean mountain ranges, a group of mountain ranges located in the north of the country.
- Sierra del Canajagua. It is located in Panama within the districts of Las Tablas, Tonosí and Guararé on the Azuero peninsula.
- Witwatersrand. It is located in the north of South Africa in the province of Gauteng.
- Sierra Minister. It is located in Spain within the communities of Castilla-La Mancha and Castilla y León and within the provinces of Guadalajara and Soria.
- Sierra de Cochicó. It is located in southern Argentina in the Patagonian region, within the province of Neuquén, in an area near the Andes mountain range.