The cultural activities are those events or meetings organized by a certain society or cultural group with the aim of creating, disseminating or promoting the culture of a group or social sector. For instance: a classical music festival, a gastronomic fair.
These types of activities are usually promoted by public or private organizations of a community (municipalities, embassies, cultural centers, museums) to transmit their culture and identity. They can be directed to a region, a country, a town or just a few people.
Cultural activities make it possible to generate bonds of union between members of the same community. They transmit beliefs, customs, traditions and knowledge from generation to generation; through art, dance, poetry, music, clothing, gastronomy, theater, literature.
Characteristics of cultural activities
- They generate ties and a sense of belonging among the members who share a certain activity.
- They are found in all cultures and types of societies. They vary according to the regions, the towns and their customs.
- They generate areas where people tend to relax and enjoy a moment of leisure and rest.
- Many of them are carried out within the framework of parties and festivities typical of a culture, country or region.
- Some are usually made on a certain date or at a special time of the year. For instance: Las Posadas: popular Mexican festivals that last nine days before Christmas.
- It is common for a people to incorporate customs and traditions from other cultures. For instance: the United States’ own Halloween party is also celebrated in some Latin American countries.
Examples of cultural activities
|School act||Kermesse||Comic fair|
|Carnival parade||Percussion workshop||National holiday|
|Circus performance||Dance competition||Outdoor cinema|
|Exhibition in a museum||Japanese literature course|
Open cooking class
|Folkloric rock||Gastronomic exhibition|
|Book Fair||Pre-Columbian art show||Urban music festival|
|Classical ballet play||Handicraft fair||Mobile library|
- More examples in: Traditions and customs